Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Spy and Phonics

So, as an expirement, you have decided to work phonnics into "I Spy." Instead of describing something's color or shape, we say the sound it starts with and the letter that sound makes. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it doesn't always work.

Lily: I spy with my little eye something that starts with juh
Iris: DRESS
Me: No. Duh-ress does not start with a juh sound
Iris: JACKET
J: Yes, but do you see a jacket?
Iris: No.
J: Then that doesn't ...
Iris: DRESS JACKET. Dress and Jacket RHYME!
*Here, J goes on to explain word families and that word families are words that rhyme, such as pain, stain, rain, etc.*
Iris: JACKET DON'T GOT A "Q"
*sigh and face-palm*

1 comment:

  1. Hah! I can totally relate. I've had very similar conversations. What is so hard about rhyming working anyway? We read a lot of Dr. Seuss, but it still doesn't stick.

    ReplyDelete